No, you go water the plants!

Ça plaire à  Éric
 

No, you go water the plants!

A question was posted on TMP about the feasability of using some GW pieces to make vicious plants. We took that as a challenge, or task, or excuse to buy more minis and waste time painting them.

This may be more primitive, but it was just as fun and actually turned out well enough for us to want to show it around. Very simple, these are just the GW torsos mentioned in the TMP post smooshed to old HeroClix figure bases with Crayola Model Magic clay, then painted up.

I always put some adhesive on what I want the clay to stick to. It dries soft, but firm enough, but it doesn't adhere. After sticking the torso in the muck, I used a pencil to open up a hole in the middle, then tamped the outside back against the tentacles. My original thought was to put giant flourescent colored flower petals around the outside of the business end of the predatory plants, but that just wasn't working. So instead, I just popped a few pieces of floral wire in the clay to add some additional biological miscelanea to the pieces.

Painting these guys up was also a happy experiment. Normally, I prime figures with Krylon indoor-outdoor paint in a color that I want to be an undertone of the whole piece. About halfway through, I ran out of the green I was using. So I went back to grab black as a catchall primer coat. Well, I saw the metallic blue there, and though it would be nicely related to green, so I went with that instead. The mix of the two colors turned out so nice, I decided just to spray paint the pieces in toto. All it took was a splurtz of red in the centers then a dusting of khaki from far away to give these guys a nice look. I went ahead and finished them with a double coat of clear sealant. When you apply (Krylon?) spray sealant too thick, it becomes like a translucent white haze over the piece. This usually ruins figures, but sometimes it can be used to even out and neutralize a piece. I think it ended up with a decent effect.

I only did a minimal bit of painting after the spraypaint. The tips of the tentacles got Apple Barrel flourescent yellow paint. This stuff is horrible for regular painting, since, no matter what I put under it as a base or primer, it doesn't adhere well and barely covers after multiple coats. That, however, makes it really good for making a dayglo color flim like coat. Like, say, pollen?

At the Hoard of Bits price, this was $10 of parts for nine figures. That's a little above my regular "one buck a figure" limit for being cheap. If I had stayed with 3 torsos per plant, it would have hit right at one dollar. But I think having the three "big" ones with four tentacles was worth it.

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés